Waterloo Biofilter Systems Inc. is a Canadian-owned and operated company that develops, designs, manufactures and maintains advanced onsite wastewater treatment systems. Our technology emphasis is on high quality treatment, low electricity usage, and system robustness. We provide a variety of innovative decentralized sewage treatment solutions for residential (individual homes & clustered or communal systems), commercial (golf course, restaurant, resort, etc.), light industrial and small municipal applications. All Waterloo Biofilter treatment units utilize our patented high-efficiency filter medium to support and sustain biological populations that degrade contaminants found in wastewater.
Since the first pilot installation in 1991, our technology has proven itself to be the most reliable and robust advanced septic system available, consistently producing sand filter quality effluent. Incorporated in 1995, our company continually strives to advance the professionalism of the onsite wastewater industry as a whole. We are responsible for numerous advances in our field, both scientific and technological, that are used every day to help protect our natural environment and water supplies. Some of our accomplishments to date include:
- Developed the world’s first biological trickling filter utilizing an absorbent, synthetic filter medium
- Developed the first Shallow Area Bed disposal system for sand filter quality effluent in North America
- Introduced the Shallow Pressure Trench disposal system for sand filter quality effluent in Ontario – now in the Ontario Building Code
- Pioneered the use of effluent filters in Ontario – now a mandatory septic system component under the Ontario Building Code
- Participated in Canada’s first residential sewage reuse application, the Toronto Healthy House™ – winner of the Canada Mortgage & Housing Corporation’s Healthy Housing™ Design Competition
- Implemented the reuse of treated wastewater for non-potable purposes such as irrigation, truck washing, and toilet flushing
- Developed the world’s first no-airspace, laminar flow septic tank – capable of improving treatment and drastically reducing sludge and scum accumulation compared to conventional septic tanks
- Developed the world’s first free-draining, trickling biological anoxic filter (BAF) for thorough and complete nitrogen removal
We are proud to lend our years of industry experience to your project engineer or we can recommend an experienced Waterloo Biofilter system designer for you to work with. We hold annual training seminars where installers, engineers, and regulators come together to learn about our newest technologies and discuss developments in our industry. We offer support to our customers post-installation, and also operate and maintain a number of our commercial installations.
Only Waterloo Biofilter Systems has the engineering and biotechnology expertise to work in creative partnership with responsible rural communities and developers across North America to provide predictable, permanent, and cost-effective septic treatment solutions that protect our water resources for future generations.
Waterloo Biofilter Systems is a proud member and supporter of: