Maximize LEED credits with a Waterloo Biofilter septic system
The Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Green Building Rating System is a third-party certification program and the nationally accepted benchmark for the design, construction and operation of high performance green buildings. The LEED program encourages and accelerates the global adoption of sustainable green building and development practices by setting out building performance standards in five key areas of human and environmental health: sustainable site development, water savings, energy efficiency, materials selection, and indoor environmental quality.
The LEED program is a points-based rating system for demonstrating that a building is environmentally responsible, profitable, and a healthy place to live and work. LEED-certified buildings:
- Lower operating costs and increase asset value
- Reduce waste sent to landfills
- Conserve energy and water
- Are healthier and safer for occupants
- Reduce harmful greenhouse gas emissions
- Qualify for tax rebates, zoning allowances, and other incentives
- Demonstrate an owner’s commitment to environmental stewardship and social responsibility
A Waterloo Biofilter wastewater treatment system can help qualify a building for LEED certification by contributing to the following LEED credits:
- SS Credit 5.2: Site Development: Maximize Open Space – 1 pt
Waterloo Biofilter’s compact nature and high treatment levels provide for one of the smallest system and disposal field footprints available, helping to reduce the development’s total footprint and maximize vegetated open spaces.
- WE Credit 1.1: Water Efficient Landscaping: Reduce by 50% – 1 pt
Waterloo Biofilter has extensive experience reusing treated wastewater for a number of purposes including toilet flushing and irrigation. By utilizing a Waterloo Biofilter system highly treated effluent can easily be directed for irrigation purposes thereby reducing potable water consumption.
- WE Credit 1.2: Water Efficient Landscaping: No Potable Water Use – 1 pt
Potable water use for irrigation can be completely eliminated by coupling a Waterloo Biofilter recycled wastewater system with other water reuse strategies such as rainwater capture.
- WE Credit 2: Innovative Wastewater Technologies – 1 pt
This credit is easily obtained with an advanced wastewater treatment unit from Waterloo Biofilter.
- WE Credit 3.1 & 3.2: Water Use Reduction: 20% & 30% Reduction – 2 pts
Waterloo Biofilters Systems has the experience and expertise needed to recycle treated wastewater for toilet flushing and other purposes. One toilet flushing reuse application has reduced potable water demands at the facility by an estimated 60-70%. ( PDF, 921KB)
- EA Credit 1: Optimize Energy Efficiency – up to 10 pts
Waterloo Biofilter systems are extremely energy efficient and contribute to a building’s overall energy cost savings. Compared to alternative Aerobic Treatment Units (ATUs), Waterloo Biofilters require up to 85% less energy. ( PDF, 165KB)
LEED certified projects using Waterloo Biofilter technology include:
- E’Terra Inn, Tobermory, ON – LEED Gold Certified
- Centre for Urban Ecology, Humber College, Toronto, ON – LEED Gold Certified ( PDF, 235KB)
- Ball’s Falls Visitor Centre, Jordan, ON – LEED Gold Certified ( PDF, 272KB)
- Rideau Valley Conservation Authority Headquarters, Ottawa, ON – LEED Gold Certified
- Youth Centre, Thunder Bay, ON – LEED Silver Certification Target