Flat Bed Biofilters
Lightweight & blends into landscaping with less excavation
Waterloo Biofilter Flat Beds are constructed of strong yet lightweight fibreglass shells containing the patented Biofilter filter media. Flat Bed treatment units are modular; additional Flat Beds can be installed in parallel or series to increase the total treatment capacity of the septic system. Wastewater is dosed to the Flat Beds via a small pump chamber with an electric or siphon pump (depending on site layout and elevations). Treated effluent gravity-drains out the bottom of the Flat Beds and flows directly into a disposal bed beneath.
Flat Beds can be located away from the house since no electricity is required at the Flat Beds themselves. Flat Beds are installed flush to grade and landscaped into the property with the supplied mulch or other porous covering. No distribution piping is required in the disposal bed resulting in a smaller system footprint and faster installation. With their low profile, Flat Beds can be installed in areas of high groundwater or bedrock without destroying the aesthetics of the property.
Flat Beds operate in a single-pass mode. The only moving part is a single high-quality, energy efficient 1/2 horsepower effluent pump that operates intermittently throughout the day. At sites where the Flat Beds can be installed 3-4’ below the septic tank outlet they can be dosed using a siphon pump, eliminating all electrical components in the system.
Benefits of the Flat Bed Configuration:
- Ideal for high water table & bedrock
- Ideal for small lots
- Siphon-dosed option eliminates all electricity requirements
- Lightweight units are ideal for barging to islands & difficult access sites
- Shallower excavation with no distribution piping required
- System is at-grade & aesthetically landscaped into property
- Minimizes tree removal on the property
- Minimizes raised mounding on the property
- Mulch covered Flat Bed lids block & absorb potential odours